Clark Hall was built in 1906 as a women’s residence for Brandon College. The original building held fifty residence rooms, a gymnasium, faculty offices, and the School of Music. Doctor WS Clarkfrom Winnipeg, for whom the building is named, supported women’s right to education and funded $30,000 of the $40,000 cost of the building.
In 1963 the building was repurposed for use by the administration due to the campus’ expansion and construction of new buildings. The building remained in use for administration duties until 1995, when the structure was deemed unsafe.
The run-down building was completely overhauled in 1996-1997. Only the exterior walls were left standing to commemorate the building’s historical roots. The renovation included a complete fourth floor, a new roof, a steel-framed interior, and a new addition on the west side that connects to the George T. Richardson Centre. Clark Hall was chosen as a Manitoba Provincial Historic site in 1992.
Today Clark Hall remains the heart and soul of the university campus.